All Along The Watchtower

films . videos . television

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

How I Met Your Mother

Is anyone else out there watching How I Met Your Mother or am I the only one?

I ask this because I tuned in to last night's episode and found myself saying, "Your roots are showing."

I've heard this show referred to as the new Friends and it really showed with this week's episode. i think the borrowed about three plotlines from Friends. You had Marshall and Lilly worried they were running out of "firsts", people trapped in another room while others outside interact and don't want to be interrupted (on Friends it was fighting, here it's Ted and Victoria's first time) and you've got Robin jonsing for Ted now that he's got someone and seems to be happy. As if that borrowing weren't enough, they took the concept of new couple deciding to wait for the nookie straight from Two and A Half Men that airs right after it.

It's not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it just felt derivative. And I like this show.

About the only thing that rescued it from being recycled plots from other shows is the Barney and Robin go out plotline, which had me in stitches. But the again, Barney is generally the BEST thing about this show and should Neil Patrick Harris not get an Emmy nod, I will riot in the streets.

I will give the show credit--it was as good as the sum of its parts. Despite being derivative at times, it still was entertaining. I'm just not sure how long we can drag out the Robin and Ted dance since we know from the Pilot they don't end up together. I've heard that Ted has already met the Mother mentioned in the title--will it be Victoria? I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Ashley Williams more each week cause she's just adorable and cute as heck, but is she the one for Ted?

1 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Blogger Kat Coble said...

I wanted to watch it but it started out opposite something else and I never got into it. I think whatever it was opposite was cancelled, so I may give this a go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home