All Along The Watchtower

films . videos . television

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Live from New York, it's Steve

Steve Martin hosts "Saturday Night Live" tonight for the 14th time, extending his record. Prince will be the musical guest, and cast member Maya Rudolph will return from maternity leave.

I'm one of those people who watches SNL religiously, through the good seasons and the not-so-good ones. Call me a Pollyanna, but I think it's a remarkable achievement that a live, weekly, 90-minute comedy is possible at all. I get annoyed during those periods when it's fashionable to heap scorn and abuse on the program. Every cast -- including the original one -- has had good and bad episodes, classic moments and stupid what-were-they-thinking sketches.

Anyway, Steve Martin, just by his presence, always seems to bring the quality of the show up a notch or two. I'm looking forward to it.

4 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Blogger Glen said...

Steve Martin is awesome.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger John said...

I thought the show turned out well. I almost did a followup post, but nobody else has posted yet and I didn't want to seem like I was monopolizing things. I loved the cold open with Kelly Ripa and Alec Baldwin.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

I saw his opening and monologue and then lost interest...I heard it was all downhill from there.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger John said...

I've seen several other negative reviews, but I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I always love Fred Armisen's Prince impression (although I was disappointed the real Prince backed out of appearing in the skit). Weekend Update -- usually my favorite part of the show -- was flat, but at least they must have realized it, because it was unusually short.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home