All Along The Watchtower

films . videos . television

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Little People, Big World

I have become hooked on this reality show. Of course I soothe myself by repeating the mantra "it's really more of a documentary". It's the story of a family with two dwarf parents, four children and the problems and joys of every other family. They are so like my own family in many ways--four kids, Christian school, large body of land on which they host many parties. Unlike the Roloffs, my parents were tall. They were also very overweight, so there's a big part of me that sympathises with the whole "we're outsiders" theme. 30 years ago parents the size of mine were much more uncommon. Or it seemed that way with the stares we got in public.

It's wierd watching it because in many ways it's like watching my own family, as they bicker about who gets what spot in the van, what to have for dinner and how one sibling's sports are creating havoc for the whole family. And they pray before meals and love each other and stick up for each other and care about one another's well-being.

I just love this show. If you get TLC, I'd encourage you to check it out. It's fantastic.

6 Comments:

At 5:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funniest line of last night's marathon is when they were preparing for the big camping trip, the little-person Dad characterized himself as a "micro-manager".

Pure comedy gold.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Yes but is it better than Dr Who?

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Kat Coble said...

Michael, what would you do if I said "yes"? Would you have a heart-attack?

But no. It isn't.

Sar, that cracked me up when I saw it. The other line that I loved was when they were packing and the grandfather said "I've had it up to here [hand at his waist] with these dwarves!"

Oh, and Michael, apparently the little-person dad played an Ewok in ROTJ. So they've got some sci fi cred.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Well, you have to recall that here is my heirarchy of TV shows...

1. Dr Who
2 Everything else.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, Dr. Who is my second favorite show.

First place belongs to everything else on television.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The:lovely LP "friend" cinches it & all gussied up (thanks to rallyorhematohidrosis and tlc)
... zachary/'s worried
Time, I've been passing time All-of my life
- it might be you Yeah, it's telling me it must be you 'Ya it might be you .."All" of my
..........(not'by'might) . . .
[Fade] Man I wish you'd check out the Trailer for the season/'s end it wouldn't be a dance/? As for me, she is eight kinds of cute (and really dressed to the nines) .. SHEESH, zachary, my job and my (persistent) yearning is to have her desire a future with me & the world needn't worry that I'm over 21 ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home